Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fantasy Hour

I'd like to think I'm a pretty modest person. I don't brag much to my friends, or talk about how awesome I am (at least, I think I don't!).

I'll admit here though, that I have a pretty active fantasy life. Whenever I start something new, I like to imagine scenarios where I am adored and admired for the new thing I'm trying. For example, when I started design school, I would imagine scenarios where I was an award winning designer, featured in design magazines, and begged by my design school to come back and talk about what a wonderful designer I was to students who were once just like me.

Now, here's the thing. I'm not a great graphic designer, I'm not bad at it, but I'm not great. I know that now, but at the time it was fun to think about fame and fortune. I'm very much okay with the fact that I'm not some world famous designer. I realize that most of my fantasy life is just that, a fun fantasy.

Do I fantasize about becoming a famous quilting personality? One with seven million blog followers, and my own line of fabric? Oh heck yeah. Will it ever happen? Probably not. All that being said, one fantasy I don't think is outside the realm of possibility to design a quilt, and have the pattern published. I've cruised quite a few blogs where people have published patters, so it seems sort of accessible.

All of that was a very big lead up to the fact that I've been working on a pattern all weekend, but I won't be posting pictures of it, because I'd like to submit it publication, and I don't think I can if I do it here first. I'm going to see if I can write six patterns in the next three months, at two weeks for every pattern. We'll see if I can stick to it.

In other news I washed Broadway Boogie Woogie Pt. 2 yesterday, and am pretty pleased with how it looks washed. The quilting crinkled up nicely. It is tremendously satisfying to finish a project.

I'm also still working on my BOM class quilt. I've caught up on all the blocks, and just have to add sashing to three more. I haven't been using sizing until now, and it's making a big difference in how well my seams match up. I'm not 100% there yet with seam matching, and having the final size come out right, but I'm getting closer.



This block is called Four Corners. I like it a lot. On of my favorite thing about patchwork quilts is the way the positive and negative space interact to create more complex shapes.

No comments: