Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Quilt Bounty

Recently, my boss told me that her mother was at one time an avid quilter, but was now looking to declutter her space. She had a lot of old quilting supplies, and my boss asked if I wanted some.

Hmmm, let me think about it. Free quilting stuff? Yes of course! Bring it on!


I did get some things that will be very useful for me, like a tin of pins, and a really gorgeous book of quilts through history. I also got some things that I might not have spent money on, but am glad to have, like some paper free motion quilting patterns, old quilting magazines, and some ric-rac to try out.

Most of the fabric was not to my taste, so I only took a bit of cheddar colored fabric. I also picked up several bags of polyester batting in various sizes. I've never used it before, and haven't particularly wanted to, but batting is the most expensive item in my quilts right now, so I appreciate the opportunity to cut down costs while I develop patterns.

I went to Joann's yesterday to take advantage of the 50% off thread (which I actually needed), and when I was done I decided to check out Fabric Depot, which several people swear by. It was interesting. They certainly have a lot of fabric! I wasn't thrilled with anything I saw there, but they did have a big selection of solids, batting, and thread which is good to know. Their prices seemed consistent with Joann's.

There was so much quilting fabric there, but I wasn't tempted. In some ways, I enjoy working with the cotton sheets from Ikea, because I don't have to worry about color at all. All the colors I could pick from (navy, red, white, off-white, gray, royal purple, gold, and sea green) go together. It takes a lot of pressure off me. I just don't think I quite have the eye that some people do for color.

No comments: