Saturday, February 13, 2010

Free Motion Quilting Samples

A few weekends ago, my friend Leslie invited me to a sewing group meeting at her work. It was the first time I'd ever gotten together to sew with others, so it was an interesting experience. It was at a preschool, so I set up my machine on a tiny table, and sat in a tiny chair. I did get a bit of work done though! This quilt (which is the BOM quilt) is supposed to be finished by April, so I have a bit of work to do.

This photo is my attempt at pebbles. Circles were a bit more challenging then I anticipated, but I think I got the hang of it by the end. I liked the way the bigger pebbles puffed up.


My friend Leslie told me that she really liked the quilting pattern that looked like coral, which I couldn't visualize. She drew it out for me, and it turns out she was talking about an allover meander. This was a hard design for me, but I suppose with practice it would be easier. I kept trying to make sharp curves.


I got this design from the freemotion quilting blog, and I love the flower look.


It shows up better on the back.


I signed up to do the next year's BOM, mainly because I like to have an excuse to go to the fabric store once a month and talk to other quilters. I also really like the design of next year's quilt. I probably won't do the quilt as you go method again, because I don't like having to stop at the edges of each block. I'd rather quilt the whole thing in one go.

No comments: