Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Color Theory

May 12th


Dear Miss Angled Asterisk,

45 blocks down! I'm addicted! People keep coming over, and it's like, go away! I have a quilt to make! Some of these blocks are getting pretty traditional, but I won't tell if you wont. :)

I'll bring some pieces of solids to the meeting on the 20th. I have many leftover bits that I am so glad to give to you. Any certain colors you are hoping for? Any certain colors you are NOT hoping for?

Lets see, I've got two blues, two reds, and three yellows, so those are out. I don't have any orange, purple or green...I guess I'm not that fond of the secondary colors! :) I think altogether though it would look good.

36 blocks. WOW! It is amazing to see how many ways there are to divide up a square! And sew it back together. Do,do,do send a pic when you get the next set done. I am really into following your progress. What are your thoughts on the triangle block border? I have been pondering this challenge. That's a lot of triangles!

I haven't approached the triangles yet, but I do want them. I just have to figure something out that doesn't involve a specialty ruler. I've sketched out about 100 or so blocks, so I'm beginning to feel like I'll make it to at least 169 squares. I'm hoping some triangle ideas will come along. If you think of something, let me know!

I am on my way to visit my sister in Pasco, WA and then fly from there for a 4 day visit with my Dad in Boulder, CO. I'll take my 'puter with me so I can check my mail find the quilt shops along the way!

Fun! I hope you have a great time!

Ch-ch-check it out




At this point in the process, I realize a few things. The first is that if I'm going to reach 169 blocks, I have to be open to any type of block. I opened up my visual research by paging through google images for the phrase "quilt blocks" and did the same on flickr. I jotted down everything that I thought I could make in a 4 x 4 grid. I totally get why people use 12 inch blocks so much, as they can fit a 3 x 3, 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 grid block without any issues. The world is very open to a 12 inch finished block.

The second is that I had too much yellow going on. I used all the colors in the photo because they are what I had on hand, but when looking at the picture above, I could see that it was leaning to0 heavily in the yellow direction.

I replaced the dullest yellow with a light purple. It's not to say that I didn't like that color, because I liked the tone on tone quality quite a bit. I just didn't think it matched the impact of the other colors, and didn't photograph as well.



In particular, I wanted people to notice this block. I'm not going to say that I'm the first person to ever make a block that looked like arrows, because I highly doubt there are many original block designs after all this time (with the exception of applique), but arrow type blocks are something that is not common in quilting right now, according to my highly scientific research methods of browsing flickr and google.


This post wouldn't be complete without a look in my sketchbook. I wish I could find my black pen.




No comments: