Monday, June 7, 2010

May 18th, 2010
Last nite, my sister and I made little cross body bags. She saw a lady on Sewing with Nancy just whip one out in 10 minutes needless to say her 10 minutes took us 2 hours! The pattern which my sister figured out, takes 4 different fabrics, something strong for the strap ( I thought a measuring tape would be a perfect strap substitution, but as she only had one, i used some kind of twisted cording). It was a magic show as the little bag gets sewn up and then turned inside out and sewn some more and then turned inside out again and it is done....which left me feeling like wow, this little sucker is 100% done.....how did that happen? I will bring it to show you as it is an engineering marvel!


This sounds very cool! I'm so impressed by people who do bags. I can't wait to see it at the meeting.


I've been plugging away at my blocks, and I'm up to 70 now. How did that happen?!! I have 150 or so blocks sketched out, but I don't know if they are all usable. I'm fairly certain I'll make it to 169, but my sketching progress has slowed down quite a bit as I work my way through the obvious blocks. At this point, I'm up for almost any kind of block. A lot of them are very traditional, but I think that there are only so many ways to divide up a square you know? I do like them all together though. It may not be "modern" in the sense of so-called modern quilting (which tends to be less complex than more traditional quilts, according to what I see on flickr) but I do think it fits in with today's quilter, if there is such a thing.

I added two new colors, aqua and light purple, and replaced the third yellow (which was sort of buttery, and didn't have great contrast). I'm on a time limit though, I've got to finish this before the summer as I have a summer job at Camp Silver Creek at Silver Falls State Park, and I'll be living there for the summer. Last summer I was able to get one Thursday night a month off (out of camp anyway), so I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same this summer to make it to guild meetings.

Speaking of meetings, I'll see you on Thursday!

Kristen




Themes of modern quilting vs. traditional quilting must have been on my mind at this stage, because I said a lot of things in this email that were echoed in my last blog post. The aqua color I added is a sheet from Target. Some of the other colors (the navy and the bright red) are sheets from Ikea. On the whole, the sheets from Target are much more durable, but a little further away in appearance from quilting fabrics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about what constitutes modern quilting because I seem to be drawn to it but couldn't define it until you mentioned the focus on fabric! This makes so much sense now. (I've also been thinking of checking out the PMQG)