Monday, November 1, 2010

So it goes...

I'd always stayed away from the tiny spools of thread at Joann's and Fabric depot, assuming they didn't have enough thread to make it worth the price it to use them for quilting. Jokes on me though, as the skinny spool on the left has 547 yards of thread, while the fatty on the right only has 500 yards. That will teach me to read the labels! I'm excited to use the metallic thread for my Project Modern Quilt. I've never tried it before, so it should be interesting. 

Too bad I don't pay attention!

I had a pretty nice Halloween (except for one thing, to be described later in the post). My friend Leslie's birthday is on Halloween, so she always has a fun party that weekend. Lots of people go and dress up, so it's fun to see what everybody comes up with. This year I went as a milkmaid, and like the hairstyle so much that I'm going to wear it that way more often.

Photo taken moments before disaster struck
My roommate came with me to the party. I'm not a drinker, but he is. He hadn't had much to eat that day, and drank a lot at the party, so by the time we came home he was totally hammered.

After we got home, I took a photo of my costume, and then went into my room and was surfing the net and winding down for the night. I heard (but didn't see) my roommate come up the stairs, use the bathroom, and (so I thought) turn on the shower. It turns out he forgot to turn off the sink, and it didn't take long for it to overflow.

The next thing I heard was my roommate swearing downstairs. I opened my door to the room, and water was all over the floor. My roommate barreled up the stairs and turned off the sink. He told me that water was coming through the ceiling downstairs.

He was right! It was like it was raining inside. I rushed around trying to find pots and pans to catch the drips, and ended up using leftover bits of batting to help mop up all the water on the floor.

Luckily, the ceiling didn't collapse.
This is all at about 2 a.m. My poor roommate was still hammered, and was really upset that I was "accusing" him of causing it (which he totally did). He had no memory of leaving the sink on, and was very actively arguing his innocence. At the time he was pretty angry with me for implying he had left the sink on.

It was one of those situations where all you can do is laugh. It was too late at night to cry! Here I was trying to stop the water from getting everywhere, and my roommate was trying to prove his case that he hadn't done it. He was no help at all, and eventually left to drunkenly sulk in his room. Poor guy. Emergency situations when you are really drunk are not very fun. It's not that much fun sober either.

Most of the water pooled in the light fixture, and dripped down the bat decoration. Happy Halloween! 

The water hadn't been on too long, so after awhile the dripping stopped, so I headed back to my room.

I checked on things one more time before I went to bed, and found my roommate curled up on the floor of the living room, under an area where the water was dripping. He told me it was because even if I was accusing him of something he hadn't done, he was still going to protect the house.

What a night! My roommate apologized the next day. I'm hoping the damage is mostly cosmetic, and we don't get mold. All in all, it could have been much, much worse. Nothing in the rooms that had the leaking ceiling got damaged.

Even my Project Modern quilt was okay even though it was under a leaky area, because I've been putting it in a trash bag when I'm not working on it for some reason.

The trash bag does not deter him

No comments: