Monday, February 21, 2011

Harry Potter and the Game of Skee Ball at the Avalon

The past few weeks have been interesting for me. I'm really enjoying teaching, but it has been a significant change in the way I spend my time. I've been pretty busy preparing for class, and then teaching class, and driving to and from class. Work work has been busy too. As a result, sewing has sort of fallen by the wayside, but I'm hoping to balance it better soon. I feel like I'm settling into a rhythm. I'd like to sew more than I am now.

This week was pretty awesome. I gave a presentation on color at the February PMQG meeting, and it was fun to prepare for. Saturday was also fun, as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is finally at the second run theaters.  Some friends and I went to see it at the Avalon theater, which also has a bunch of nickle games.

When you walk by, the light make a great click, click, click sound.
 You can tell the Avalon has been around for awhile, because it has a ton of creepy clowns outside. No one would have these types of illustrations now that so many people think clowns are scary.

Surprisingly, these are the least creepy of the clowns.
My friends Leslie, Foxx and I had one game on our mind, which was skee ball. We spend almost all of our nickles on it.

Foxx had the first roll of the night.
 Eventually we got the three skee ball games next to each other, and we did not take turns with anyone, we just played until we ran out of nickles.

We spent a lot of time wondering if we could get a skee ball game in one of our houses.
My friend Leslie, who is normally very cautious and safety conscious, really surprised me by being an aggressive bad ass with the skee ball. She hurled the skee balls with a rage that I had never before witnessed from her. She kind of kicked our asses.

In this photo, Leslie had tossed the ball so hard it bounced out of her lane and into the top of mine. I still don't quite know how it happened.
Skee ball was just a warm up for Harry Potter though. You can tell we are all huge Harry Potter nerds because a) we have huge smiles on our faces at the thought of seeing the movie again, and b) because I had someone in the row behind us take our picture so I could put it on my blog.

I wish the background could have been an image from the movie, but I'm not sure how the rest of the theater would have felt about it.
On Sunday, I finally got some sewing done. I headed over to Cherri's studio and spent some time free motion quilting (not on the long arm though!). I was happy to get a start on this quilt. I've been hemming and hawing about how to quilt it, so I was happy to get it started. I like how this turned out, but, as Cherri correctly predicted, it's going to take a lot of time. 

These rows already used two bobbins. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I hate winding bobbins for some reason.


As far as Fritz goes, he seems to have settled into living in the bathroom, and I sort of don't mind. He's taken to sitting on the windowsill, which is easy to clean, and I get to see him a lot, which I didn't necessarily do when he was hanging out in the kitchen.

 His habit of putting his paws on my shoulder has developed into full blown riding around on my shoulders.

I think of the two of us, Fritz has the more awesome expression on his face.
I always wanted a cat that would ride around on my shoulders, and now that it's happened, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I'm not discouraging it, but I'll really have to keep his nails trimmed. He can have quite a grip. When he gets up there I've been I've been trying to walk around like normal, and he can hang on for quite awhile. We'll see if he keeps it up.

There have been better pictures of me, but probably not better pictures of Fritz.

No comments: