Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Project Modern Monochromatic Challenge

The project modern monochromatic challenge is over, and my friend and fellow PMQG member Jill is one of the winners for her awesome yellow quilt.

Congratulations Jill! Well done and well deserved!

In fact, I think the PMQG put together a lot of great quilts for the challenge.

Here is my quilt. It's about 72 x 88.

I really enjoyed the process of making this quilt, even if I don't love everything about the final outcome.

I really wanted a certain range of blues, and to get that I pulled probably every bold of solid blue fabric at Joann's, regardless of what the fabric was made of.

To make the arrow shapes, I used an overhead projector to trace the shapes onto pieces of fabric.

This is where I'm glad my building has a meeting room, because there is no way I would have been able to do this in my narrow apartment!

I quilted it very simply. I appliqued all the arrows on as part of the quilting process, which worked out pretty well. I used wonder under for the shiny fabrics, but I sort of wish I had used it for all of them because some of the cotton fabrics, especially the large pieces got some tucking going on with the quilting. If I were going to do a project like this again, I would definitely use fusible or interfacing for all the applique pieces.

For my first applique quilt, I think it turned out okay.

Taking pictures of the quilt was pretty fun, and this time I made sure to take a photo of everyone who helped me hold it up.

Thanks guys!


Jill said...

This turned out great Kristen!! I really wanna touch it now...

Jeanette said...

I love the shiny fabrics and thought it was very unique amongst all of the submissions. The design is very cool, and I like your method for tracing it out to scale for the quilt. Great job!