Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pictures of Cats

Jill made this comment on my last post.


I'm choosing to interpret it like this.


Although, after seeing the results, maybe I shouldn't have made a pop art portrait of Fritz.

Yikes! Nightmare time!
Fritz's horrifying visage aside, I did finish quilting my scrap quilt, and now all that's left is to bind and wash it. I'm aiming to get it done for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, which starts on the 13th, so I've got plenty of time.


I never want to like the back of my quilt better than the front, but I really like how the quilting makes the back look.

Sometimes it can be hard for me to determine if I'm improving my free motion quilting or not. I'm always looking at my work with a critical eye, and it's so much easier to find the flaws that honestly no one else cares about than to appreciate the good work that I have done.

Although, some mistakes are pretty hard to miss!
It pleases me that there was some pretty clear evidence of improvement in this quilt though. There were three center blocks, and every time I quilted the same motif on the blocks it got better. The pictures below are in order of when I finished them.




None of them are perfect, but by the time I got to the red one it started looking much better. This kind of quilt is perfect for that type of exploratory free motion quilting because the piecing is so wobbly anyway that it doesn't matter if the quilting isn't perfect. In fact, it matches better when it isn't perfect.




This has been a pretty satisfying project for me, but I'm glad it's almost done so I can move onto the next thing.

2 comments:

Gail Lizette said...

I love your quilting!!!! It looks super fantastic and I would have a hard time flipping it over! Love your kitty pic too :)

Jill said...

The quilting is awesome! Yes, you interpreted my post correctly - I LOVE the pop art Fritz! I did 2 of my dog Maggie and they are equally freaky, but I framed them and hung them in my son's room.