Saturday, January 16, 2010

Assistant wanted

Sometimes I dream of hiring an assistant. I'd have to pay them in diet coke, but it would be pretty nice. They could do my laundry, clean my kitchen and help me out with all my least favorite parts of quilting.

This dream is especially strong when I'm doing three things during the quilting process. The first is winding bobbins, and the second is assembling the quilt sandwich, and the third is attaching the binding. It's a slippery slope from there though. I'd probably end up watching my magical assistant assemble the whole thing while I called out instructions from the couch while playing video games.

When I made my first quilt, I was at my old house in Salem. There were a lot of things that weren't ideal about that set up, but I did have a lot more floor space, and room for a full size ironing board. I love my new place, but it's been a real challenge to try and assemble the quilt sandwich. I'm either going to need to clear some space in my garage (which isn't attached to my place), or go to a friend's house to spread out bigger quilts.

Here's a picture from the stairs of the quilt sandwich for the quilt I'm writing a pattern for now. That's just half of it. I thought I could maybe fold it over and do half at a time, but that didn't work out to well. Nothing was really taut, and there were some wrinkles in the batting. Never again.

Speaking of batting, I've been using my Joann's coupons to buy batting, and I'm really not feeling the cotton batting I bought for this quilt. I feels cheap and flimsy. I used bamboo last time, and it felt so much nicer. It was so soft and hefty. I didn't want to buy it because it was so expensive, but maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and just get it.

I realize my arbitrary timeline for making 6 patterns in three months was a little crazy. I'd had the intention of designing quilts that could be completed in a weekend, so I could make the quilt one weekend, write the pattern during the week, and test it out the next weekend, but it hasn't really worked out that way. It's been two weeks and I'm just now completing the first quilt for the first time. I still think that's pretty good, but I'll just have to see where I am in 3 months.



No comments: