Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cut Glass Dish Block

The most recent block we had for my Block of the Month class at Cool Cottons was the one pictured above, called (I think) Cut Glass Dish. My piecing skills are still a little shaky for triangles, but I think the magic of using sizing has helped considerably.

I think the points are looking pretty good, but there is always room for improvement. I wish I had used sizing when I made all the sashing, but short of a time machine, there's not much I'm willing to do about it. I'll get two more blocks in class, and I'm up to date on all the blocks, but I have a lot of quilting to go. We're doing the quilt as you go method, which I like, but I've been sort of consumed with my quilt pattern project, so I haven't really been quilting the pieces. The BOM quilt is supposed to be done in March, so I should be getting a move on.

An idea that came up in the BOM club was to cut 2 inch squares and sew them together as starters and enders to the sewing process, which eliminates the birds nest you can get when starting out on the machine. I decided to do this, and have created these blocks so far. Again, sizing is doing wonders for my seam matching. I can't wait until I have a bunch of them.

No comments: